Featured Post

Leadership Beyond Corona

Sometime in March, I began to question if Corona will change the way Behavourial Science scripts new chapters. Chapters that may change the ...

Monday, July 23, 2012

And you tell me there is a Government.




And you tell me there is a Government.

A young scholar is killed travelling in a train. A young HR manager is burnt alive in one of India's top public sector company. Many other innocent deaths occur. Girls raped and murdered. Infants die in hospitals. 

Run over such incidents ten years ago. Twenty years ago. I wonder in how many such public incidents, the criminal has been identified, booked and punished for crime. The real big ones have engaged CBI; and CBI's investigation takes long 5 years, 10 years and I am sure there would be 50 year old cases pending for justice.

I am confounded as I put myself as the victim's member of family. I lost my young son, a young brother, a young sister, elderly father, the just born child. What can I do but wale and cry? 

The hardest truth is that I cannot get bcd the one who died. So, I can feel sorry, cry and wale. Further, wait for time to heal my grief, or let a good event in my family ride over what is gone. 

That is perfectly understandable if I am not part of a system, a Governance, law and justice. 

But my Constitution says that I am. And I am by Constitution a legal citizen who must see my right to seek justice against a crime turn real. 

Is that an extraordinary demand? Why must I not expect that my larger society does not meet the same fate? And at least that such a grief does not get recurring.

Is that inhuman for an ask? Or beyond a basic to demand?

And if I do not see criminals being punished and the public convinced that the Government, law and its judicial course would yield, do I assume that my rights are a simple scribble over a paper drawn by a few idealists 60 years ago?

Give me an answer, an Indian?

I ask this not from the Government that sleeps over. I ask this of an Indian, a common Indian, where is my right to feel secure in a nation? Where is my right to be treated as an equal human being? Do I assume that to get common justice, I need a lobbyist within the higher echelons of power? Or, should I assume that unnatural deaths, murders, killings, burning a human in broad day light, or losing an infant in a hospital due to neglect is a part of natural life in India?

The Government is not responsible to give you water, electricity, roads, sanitation, schooling or other basic amenities. The Government is not accountable for fluctuating marketing prices eating into your purchasing power. The Government cannot showcase a clear future ahead for you. The Government cannot give you opportunity to work or earn. That is a near acceptable assumed and granted as part of being an Indian.

If you must protect yourself and your family, guard yourself in public places and on the streets, and hire bodyguards for your personal safety, then do I assume that human rights is limited to fate or destiny that allows you to live the day. If it is the Almighty alone that is India's best safeguard, why do we need ordinary mighty ones? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers make a Writer. Your views and comments will help me write for you better. In appreciation. Happy Reading!